Monday July 2, 2012
It rained today ehn!
Rained like it was going to go out of fashion. This particular rain more noticeable to me because it was a Monday, and Mondays in Lagos are usually hellish. This one, particularly more hellish than the others I have had to endure.
I woke up pretty late. Later than my usual of 4.30 - 5.00. As soon as I opened my eyes, I knew it was going to be one of those mornings. I felt weary to the bones.... Anyways, I still made it out of the house in good time. But then it started raining and everything went crazy from there. First, the roads were badly flooded (as is often the case around my part of town when it rains), then when I thought I had escaped without serious delays due to the engine stalling or getting stuck in the flood I encountered this 'killer' traffic on Ikorodu road. This is the last of what I need this early in the day!!!
As if that was not enough, it began to rain.... Heavy downpour.
Suffice to say when you combine early morning rain with Monday morning traffic in Lagos what you get is sheer madness.
So, we all went mad...hehehe. Eventually, I made it to the office around 10.30am. Effectively missing the Monday morning status meeting. From what I heard, I was 'looked' for twice. The meeting was still on when I arrived, but what the heck. I don't need anyone else getting on my nerves this early...and on the first day at work in a new month too. So, I skipped the meeting all together and ignored the message that the MD had asked for me twice- let him ask.
It was a rotten morning. However, we still got work to do. I actually had to smoothen out a few ruffled feathers. No thanks to my colleagues selling off one of my client's sites. This internal competition sef, it gets so infuriating.
Well, thankfully I was able to smoothen the client out. It was not easy. Had to do a bit of cajoling, a bit of begging and some cheap blackmail. Hanging our long-term friendship on the client's neck. Anything and everything comes into play when it comes to matters like this. I don't like it, but what can you do? Everyone does it. The other client, was a bit problematic though. I might have to shoot her dead someday. She won't pay up and would expect the best of what I got on offer. One day my patience will finally wear thin (Hoped you would smile there). Getting to work was hell, getting back home.... Either way, I got to my destination.
Tomorrow is another day.
P.S: Oga boss is beginning to see the light!!!
I can't laugh. Being perceptive, and knowing how to look beyond what is presented at face value should be a skill everyone cultivates. This dude missed it, and I hope it is not too late in the game for him to 'step change' his game.

No comments:
Post a Comment