Monday, July 23, 2012

WEEKEND BLAST

Okay, I think I had myself a great weekend.

There is so much gist, I wonder if I will remember all.

Saturday July 21

On Thursday, I received a text at about 5.13am from a "really good friend" - now, it is not what you think. Imagine the timing, cheeky eh?

Text had read thus:

"Good morning -stop- angels and devils alike -stop- I'd like to know tho -stop- anyone interested in hitting the beach on Saturday -stop- Got a date with a shark -stop- or something -sop- so -stop-


The first three to five words of that text almost got me jumping outta my skin. alking

But, knowing this fellow who sent it, I smiled and prepared for my day.

Well, I finally decided I'd make it and be there. Knowing it is an opportunity to meet the 'shark' and also hang out with friends.

So, off to Oniru I went. But, somewhere between leaving my house and getting on the first bus on the road, I decided I was going to see a bit of downtown Lagos. So, after alighting at Mile 11; I bought a BRT ticket for CMS.

My earlier fears of traffic was non-existent. The roads were very free. So, I was at Leventis very early.

So, guess what I did?

I walked. The entire stretch of Marina from Leventis. Oh no, not straight all the way down.

First, I crossed over and went into Balogun market.



The old buildings were a beauty. As it were, Balogun was just being roused to the hustle and bustle of commercial activity which marks it as one of the biggest markets in Nigeria.

So, I walked on. Enjoying the scenery and how the place looks so peaceful at such times. Without the pushing, cursing and shouting it is usually associated with.

I strolled through Broadstreet, past the dirty looking CBN building through Kakawa street and then headed out through towards Marina.



Have you taken out time to appreciate the resplendent beauty of the Methodist Church?



I tell you, I saw that building in another light.In a way I have never before in my life seen it. If the doors were open, I most likely would have gone in. Imagine how many people seeking God, that can gain access.

On through towards Marina I strolled stopping at a few book vendors looking for Salman Rushdie's The Ground Beneath Her Feet; still can't find that book.

The water along the Marina is another matter. I stood on the pedestrian bridge at CMS for like twenty minutes just taking in the view. It was peaceful. It was restful and it was really beautiful. If I had more time and it was another time of the day, I most likely would have visited "The Fish Shark", you remember don't you?

Well, there was no time so at the end I had to skip my sight-seeing so I can be at Oniru before the set time of 10a.m. At that point, I could only hope for a taxi.

Luckily, I didn't have to wait long before I saw an empty one.

As I suspected, I was the first person around. So, I used the opportunity to just take in the view. Water has always been a major attraction for me.

I sat and just mooned.

It was my "good friend's" call that jerked me out of my reverie. As it happened he had been around a while with one of the other guys, K.I. (all of us belong to this NaijaStories platform), and they had been chilling out at SHOPRITE.

In a few minutes they arrived and we didn't waste time breaking out the bottles and stuffs.

One hour after, another of the guys. T.O. showed. The ladies typically, showed up last.

But when they did, the place had a different 'feel'.

In all, we drank but didn't smoke; we chatted and some danced...while others disappeared for long periods. Not what you think again!!!



I swear on my church mind.

After all is said and done, we left for around past five and that is also because "my good friend" was not feeling tops. He was just getting back, you see and shouldn't have been exposed to so much sun and allowed to drink. The two both of them he did, to what extent?

*lips sealed*.

Heading back was a total chaos. Just like the first time we all ever met each other, at Elegushi, K.I. launched into this idealistic debate of literary culture in the country.

Needless to say the #twitpack seem only partially interested in exhibiting the same level of passion.

We discussed the issue all the way from Oniru on the Island to TBS. I am sure the taxi driver would have thought all of us young, noisy, rotten fools.

Well, maybe we were...but not all so young- as K.I. wrongly posited in the BRT we hooked from TBS to the Mainland. The discussion had continued in the bus, before a larger audience, who would have thought the same thing as the taxi driver. Albeit, most of the talking was done by K.I.

Eventually, some would have been left with the impression that the passion is fueled by something else.

Out of the five, who got on the bus I was the last one off.

It was fun. Listening to the craziness of the ideas that were uttered...and seeing all the beautiful faces again.

Particularly....

As it happened, the discussion continued over twitter later in the evening. The banter didn't stop.

Some other twitter contact (not from the #twitterpack) was forced to ask me if I ever quality family time.

Unfortunately, how could I defend that? When I spend so much time online...But, I sure do. Online is a platform for expression for me. It is what I have always done. Even before I started a family.

But, I created quality time and spend it with the family.

I just couldn't explain it all to her. I hope one day she finds this blog and understands better.

As usual, I slept.

Hahaha....

*************************************************************************************

Sunday July 17

It was cat and mouse day as far as the rains were concerned. It rained and rained, stop-start, stop-start. Almost all day.

I was able to spend some quality time with the family.

I will leave you with pixreel.

Enjoy.










No comments: