Monday, August 6, 2012

BIG, BIG GIST

Oh No!

I don't know how long I'm going to be doing this...I am very sorry!

Work ni o! But I am here to give you gist. There is plenty, I tell ya. loads have happened in a week and a half or thereabouts since I last gave you anything to chew on.

You know how this is going down right? Cool, let's do this....

Wednesday July 22

Finally the contract came in for the IBM project I had been working on for a while; it was almost fouled up. Anyways, it is in. Some more stuffs on the way there though.

Well, as usual some funny questions were asked....over the tenor of the contract and the fact that one site was omitted that was initially indicated in the Letter of Interest from the client. But, heck....questions are always asked. Always!!! Even when you have 'killed' a client on the rates offered for the sites.

Thursday July 23

Now, here is the main gist!

The office got locked up today!!!

Seems we are becoming very 'friendly' with LASG and her parastatals. This time the offense was over cutting of some trees at Ahmadu Bello Way. The said trees were adjudged to have been hindering the visibility of our site.

Unfortunately for us, the military guys had also cut trees on that stretch and the ministry of environment people were still smarting from that.

So, the office gate got clamped.

Embarrassing and utterly avoidable. But, this things happen.

The Top Dog, his deputy and a number of senior guys were locked out. Lucky for them they had not been in the office as early as someone like me and others; their cars would have been locked in too. Maybe unlike us though, they can call for their second and third cars sha!


Someone is sure going to get the knock for this. I can be sure of it judging from the hard set of Top Dog's face when he arrived at the office.

Plus, the guy who ordered the cutting of the said tree came to the office late.

Ohooo!!!

Friday July 24

I love Fridays. I get some small relief.

But, today was not like that. We had a session. Brain-storming session it was called for our SBUs. Why we need to do that I still don't get though. Those guys should be able to think for themselves. After all, they are riding the big cars.

Well, we had the session....a marathon I tell you. Almost five hours of stating the obvious.

And all the while, my Baygon contact was calling me to find our when his board was scheduled to be brought down, as per LASAA directive.

Boy! Was I glad to be out of the meeting?

Interesting bunch of people, my SBU guys. Very interesting. Want us to do their marketing for them....hahaha!!!

Let me Break the gist there.

Trade secrets. I hope you understand.

Monday July 27 - Friday July 31

Yes, I have to do it this way.

I am short of time and I have forgotten most of the gist. In specifics.

However, Monday came and the gates were still locked. From what I understand and gathered the ministry of environment boys were very upset. They should. The way those trees were chopped down ehn!

Business went on as usual though. As the pedestrian gate was still accessible.

Status meeting was brief. My Oga was not around though. He had complained of chest pains last week - AGAIN!

I no fit laugh.

Well, we held our own and there was nothing much going on. Other than the IBM contract which was major, even though in usual fashion it is being treated as not.

Tuesday came and the gate was still locked. Everyone else whose car was not in the premises when the gates were clamped and sealed parked outside. The rest of us had ours in 'storage'.

And still My Oga didn't show for work. He had not called either myself or my colleague, the only two people in his department to let us know what's going on. As it happened, he had called HR to inform that he had been ordered on 'bed rest'.

The continuation of the brainstorming session went on without him there.

The MTN presentation didn't go forward as planned.

I let that one slide. Plus, there were too many things going on with LASG to get TOP DOG interested in that right now.

By Wednesday, the gate being locked up was a major embarrassment.

Finally, Thursday brought freedom. The gates were thrown open after a hefty fine was paid into the coffers of the State Government.

The sense of relief was palpable.

My Oga finally showed up. In a way, I have my theory of what is going down. I predicted something a while back. I hold my peace and wait.

We had our last leg of the brainstorming session today.

My Oga attended this one and in usual manner went about putting 'structure' to the discussion. Towards the end, there was a confrontation between a 'bigger oga' and a 'smaller oga'.

The 'smaller oga' had initially accused the 'bigger oga' of keeping mum over serious issues he expected him to talk about. It was the second time when the 'smaller oga' tried to out his foot in the 'bigger oga's' mouth that he bit and HARD!

Who says a toothless dog can't bite?

Even the gums can be painful if enough pressure is applied.

Me, I just looked on. Knowing I was going to tell you about it soon.

On Friday, the bombshell was dropped.

My Oga had dropped his resignation letter yesterday.

I knew something was up.

The stress of this job is too much for someone that 'tush'.

I have no other opinion on the matter.

The grapevine once again rules.

But, I don't get my juice from there.

No sir.

See you around....

No comments: