It was a bright day, yea.
I was looking sharp and all that so naturally I was feeling a bit up and up. Hahaha.
Never mind.
So, it is client meet and site inspection afterwards. I like how that is shaping out. Gradually rounding off all the loose ends on this Nestle account. It could have been messier, but the client and the agency had been pretty co-operative and all. Part of the problem was there doing anyway. But, the feeling you get for knowing you are able to proffer sound solutions is euphoric.
There was a lot that came in fast this morning, there was an early morning text from my Coca Cola account contact at UM; Wanted new invoices submitted before 1 p.m. Ha! These clients sef. This is regardless that I had turned in an invoice for Q1 2012 much earlier. This na double work....and on a day I had my mind set on closing another deal that is time bound.
Then, my oga wanted me to pick up a P.O from MS that we have been knocking front and back since sometime last week.
I had gone into his office to let him know my itinerary, I still don't know how I feel in that office. He had looked and sounded his usual gruff way (getting used to that and learning to pick his real mood from his fake outward mood)- will really like to understand and be on point with my reactions to his ways.
'Yes, ' he asked in his gruff voice.
I twitched about a bit. But determined to keep my composure I braved it and spoke up.
'I wanted to let you know I will be out for the site inspection and client meet I spoke about yesterday. That is why I brought the pool car form for you to sign,' I said handing him the form.
He scanned the paper through the top of his glasses, then asked 'What is happening at MR?'
'Meeting on illumination. Then the MS is the site inspection for Maggi replacement site,' I replied.
'Okay. So, what do you want me to do?'
'I want you to sign the form sir,' I replied.
So, he signed.
'Did you send the CD to Clive at FMNplc.?' He asked as he handed me back the form.
'Oh yes, I did. I sent it with a hard copy of the contact report as agreed. You know I collected the revised proposal from you on a flash?'
He looked at me funny, then somehow maybe remembered what I was talking about, 'Yeah. Yeah. Did you check it?'
'Yes, I did,' I replied. I wanted to be on with other things. But, obviously there was more.
'On your way, please collect the order for the Oshodi board from Gbenga at MS.'
I waited for further briefs.
'It's =N= 7.9m abi?'
'Yes,' I replied. 'I am going to MS actually to pick my client for the inspection.' I finished.
'Oh, how many of you are going?'
'I believe just me and the client. She didn't tell me someone is coming from Nestle.'
'Okay, collect the order. It's non-illuminated abi?'
'Yes.'
'Okay. Well done.'
So, I was out of there like a bolt. I needed to call on Shali's favor with the Coke invoice to ensure that it gets to UM before 1 p.m and I was running behind schedule for my 9 a.m appointment with my MS client.
Was able to get Shali's assurance that the invoice will be ready. We work well together that way.
At about 9 a.m I was out of the office. Late already. But what can one do?
Made it to MS about fifteen minutes later, but the fella I was to pick the order from was not yet at the office. So, off I was with my client on the original assignment.
Traffic on Lagos roads is hell. But we were able to be done with our inspection of the Mile 2 board on time and she finally settle for the board Facing the traffic from the Ojo/Festac/Badagry end of the Lagos-Badagry expressway.
Our journey back was not very eventful. And all went smoothly. Done deal. I called the MD on the way back to find out if he has submitted his inputs in the SBC Plc digital proposal I was preparing. He hasn't but promised to look at it as soon as he was free. Good news.
Called up Segun at MR to set up a time for our appointment. We agreed on 1.30 p.m. That meeting is going to be a bit more problematic.
I also called my immediate Super (since my office mate is yet to resume), to solicit for his assistance in ensuring that the UM invoice for coke had been treated. He was able to confirm it had been processed and sent.
Shali is a dream.
Had to drop my client off back at her office before heading for my 1.30 p.m appointment at MR at Maryland.
Back at MS, I was able to finally see the fella to give me the order for my oga. My thought just a simple 'pick- n-drop' assignment on this one.
'Hello, I am Shanu from OE. I am here due to the discussions you had with my colleague on the Oshodi Board.'
'Yes, but the rate....I understand that there is a rate structure you use with us. What is the rate?'
'It is =N=7.9m for that site. I believe you and my colleague had discussed extensively on this before now,' I replied.
'It is the board facing the traffic from the airport, right?' He asked.
'Yes it is,' I replied.
'Please give me a minute.'
He stood up and left the office for several minutes. When he came back, he was holding a piece of paper.
'Yes, I just spoke to my people. I understand the rate you use with us on that site is =N= 7.5m. So, that is what it is.' He was standing by the door.
'That may be true, but my understanding was you have concluding with him. I will need to clarify with him.
Unfortunately, my phone battery was down and I did not have my oga's number on my other phone.
Eventually, the fella had to call him and I also spoke with him.
It all went down hill from there.
Long and short, my oga felt let down I had fed him wrong information and made him look stupid before the client and our MD.
However, I couldn't have know if he had been able to secure an agreement or not with the fella other than what me and him had agreed earlier in the office. So, when he had said =N=7.9m earlier in the morning at the office I had simply taken that was the rate he agreed with the fella.
Unfortunately, my oga has a 'way' with dealing with things- not the best way I must say.
Well, I picked the order for =N=7.5m but it felt like I was holding a ticking time bomb in my hands.
Guys at MS were joking that I am to hard to bargain with and all that. I couldn't enjoy the joke, but my client on Maggi rose to my defense. Good to have a friend in-house.
Went off to my 1.30 p.m meet at MR. Got there about ten minutes late. But the meeting went smoother than I thought. Though we didn't reach an immediate agreement, both camps were actually clear on their stands. The agency standing behind their client (because they have no choice) and I staunchly stating my company's position. Way I see it, we may have to just drop the chain on that account if it seems to want to drown us. I put that to the agency reps best way I could.
Worked a bit on the new business I am chasing with MR. Don't feel the vibe the lady rep is giving me. But, I am confident I can bring her around to reality.
It was back at the office that the fireworks started.
It was a screaming match and if there is something I hate it is for someone to be screaming at me. So, I raised my voice a notch too....I don't care much when I lose my top. So, I keep a tight lid on it as much as I can.
We were at it for a while, then settled it somehow. Maybe it ended the way it should end between gentlemen, only time will tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment